Yaba College of Technology Profile
Established in 1947 as Yaba Technical Institute, Yaba College of Technology holds the enviable distinction of being the first institution of higher education in Nigeria. The Yaba Higher College was established in 1934 to provide final stage training, leading to the production of assistants in the medical and engineering fields, and some other vocations.
In 1945, however, the Elliot Commission on higher education in West Africa recommended the conversion of Yaba Higher College into a Technical Institute, to produce the hundreds of technicians that the country’s economic development would require.
Following the acceptance of the Commission’s report by government, Yaba Higher College was closed down; and in its place, Yaba Technical Institute was established in 1947; while the students at Yaba Higher College, along with the classroom furniture and laboratory equipment, were transferred to Ibadan to form the pioneering group at the University College that took off in 1948. Thus, Yaba Technical Institute, Nigeria’s first higher education institution, charged with the responsibility of providing higher level of skills, commenced in the 1947/48 session.
In September 1963, The Yaba Technical Institute was renamed Yaba College of Technology, by the Rt. Hon. Dr. Nnamdi Azikwe, the then Governor-General of Nigeria.
Vision & Mission
Our Vision is to be the leading higher educational institution in Africa by providing first-rate academic, professional and entrepreneurial education to our students, who are empowered to make a positive impact in the technological and socio-economic development of the country.
Our Mission is to produce knowledgeable and innovative graduates, worthy in skill and character, through effective teaching, learning and research for the technological advancement of Nigeria.
Schools and Departments
- School of Art, Design and Printing - General Art Painting and Sculpture, Ceramic, Fashion Design, Textile Design, Printing Technology
- School of Engineering - Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Computer, Metallurgical, Industrial Maintenance Engineering, Mining, Chemical
- School of Environmental Studies - Architecture, Building Technology, Estate Management, Quantity Surveying, Surveying and Geo-informatics, Urban and Regional Planning
- School of Management and Business Studies - Accounting, Business Administration, Banking and Finance, Marketing, Office Technology and Management
- School of Science - Mathematics, Science Laboratory Technology (with options in Environmental Biology, Microbiology, Chemistry, Biochemistry), Physics with Electronics, Statistics
- School of Technology - Computer Science, Agricultural Technology, Food Technology, Polymer and Textile, Hospitality Management, Leisure and Tourism
- School of Liberal Studies - Mass Communication
We welcome you to our UNEVOC Portal. Please explore TVET with us.